3.18.2009

Toby, my miracle dog.

Toby was hit by a car.

Monday was one of the most horrible days of my life. my baby Toby was hit by a car on that dreaded day. right in front of Adrian's house. by some Korean motherfucker who didn't even bother to stop and see if he was okay.

Look, here he is at about 3 months old , right when we first got him. Adrian gave him to me as my graduation/birthday gift. it was so cute how he gave him to me. I was coming down from frisco and when he picked me up at the airport, I got in the car, and there Toby was. in a little box. weighed about 3 lbs. his breath smelled like corned beef but i didn't care, he was my little puppy, so cute and cuddly. and so sweet. he kissed me for days. awwww, i miss him being a puppy. anyways....

so this is what happened. I was walking Toby & Bentley after work, right across the street from Adrian's. Toby was taking a shit, n next thing you know, I looked down and he was running across the street toward Adrian. I was like "WTF?!?!?" somehow, his leash got unclasped. It might have been my fault. I might have clasped his leash it onto his dog tag, which maybe broke off??? I don't know exactly what the fuck happened. but I can't blame myself anymore. It happened, and I'm so sorry Toby Bear.

Anyways, Toby was running towards Adrian, then he turned around and started chasing cars in the street. Then this silver Camry pulled up and hit him, and didn't even bother to stop. then... I heard the most awful noise: he was screaming and crying frantically in a way that I had never heard him before. so desperate and full of pain. I couldn't see exactly what happened cuz I was on the other side of the car, but Adrian, since he was across the street, saw the whole thing. Immediately, we both ran toward him, picked him up, and he was crying and yelping to no end. He was in so much pain. It broke my heart. Adrian and I were bawling.

It was like a nightmare. or a scene from a movie. My head was spinning. Heart was pounding. I didn't even think of looking at the car's license plate to track that motherfucker down. All Icared about was my baby and getting him to a doctor. god, his whole life flashed before my eyes. I really thought we might lose him. I got all these flashbacks of him when he was a puppy.

We got in the car almost as if it were reflex. without thinking or talking. we just got in. I gingerly carried him in my arms. But he wanted to go to the back of the car, and the backseats were down so he lay in the back of the car flat on his stomach, his right leg up like he was holding it up to prevent pressure on it. Then he lay on his side with his head all sideways--so scary. Me and Adrian got even more freaked out, and as I was freaking out on the phone with Christal and Mark to find out where the Animal Hospital was that we used to go to, we just decided to go to the closest one on our way. And since we were in Echo Park, we went to the Echo Park Animal Hospital on Glendale Blvd. Thank God it was just like two minutes away. but those two minutes were hell. The whole time I was screaming out, "Toby hang in there!"

The doctors and staff were nice. what was weird to me was that they didn't take him in right away, after I had just told them in a frantic tone, "MY DOG JUST GOT HIT BY A CAR!" The receptionist was all calm, like, "Okay hun, fill out this paperwork and we'll be with you shortly." I was like "Uhmmmm, okay..." So we filled out the paperwork. and waited. and waited. for what seemed like eternity. but it was actually about ten minutes. I was holding him gently in my arms as if he were a newborn. He was shivering. probably out of fear. and pain. He didn't bark at the staff. He didn't growl at the other dogs and people in the waiting room. He just lay in my arms, so helpless and afraid. This was not the Toby we all know.

Then the doc called us in, an older white guy, and he examined Toby. took some x-rays. after waiting 30 minutes which seemed longer than the eternity we waited earlier, we finally saw the x-ray results and spoke with the doc. He showed us each x-ray of each body part. All bones intact. All organs undamaged. The only abnormal thing he said was that there was a pocket of gas in his tummy, from air he swallowed during the accident. Also, the doc said that since Toby is still a youngin', and a small guy, he's pretty flexible and that probably was a factor too in how well he handled it. so that was it. he sent Toby home with antibiotic and painkiller injections. and he said Toby would be fine. Whew. Thank you God. Thanks, St. Francis. I was praying like crazy.

Me and Adrian were in total shock. I was prepared to expect horrible news, but this was the total opposite. Adrian swears he thought he saw Toby get completely run over. But that would be impossible right? He wouldn't be here today. Or maybe it was a miracle.


I'll keep y'all posted on how he's doing. Toby Bear, the miracle dog.

here he is playing with Adrian. so cute.
and here the three of us are. aren't we so cute together? awww. i love this pic.

3 comments:

cinz said...

omg. toby is a miracle dog. i was sooo hooked i felt like this was a short story. hahaha. poor toby & that mothersucker who hit and run. i mean who does that w/a dog? humans ok...but you cant hit & run a dog and get away w/it. karma's a bitch. but im happy he's holding up. toby's a trooper. oh and cute. send him my love.

iza said...

poor toby..i'm glad he's okay. and cinz is right.."humans ok..but not a DOG!!"

celestoid said...

Miracle Dog. whatabout the Other one. the other miracle dog. :)